This entry has been a long time coming. I’ve just had many more interesting things to say (well, interesting to me…) over the last little while, so I’ve bypassed the “fashion” subject a number of times. But the one tip I have for anyone coming to Vancouver: NEVER, EVER wear anything beige or white (particularly pants!!) when there is even the SLIGHTEST chance of rain, because chances are, it’s gonna rain. I learned this lesson the hard way a couple of weeks ago. I checked the weather in the morning, and it said that there was a 10% chance of rain in the afternoon. I thought, “Well, that’s a pretty minute chance (forgetting that weather forecasts are often backwards; sometimes a 30% chance of rain means 70%) and there’s not a cloud in the sky of anywhere, so I might as well wear my beige capris while I can.” By 3:00 the clouds had rolled in and the rain was coming down in sheets. I trudged home in my sandals and my no longer beige capris. Lesson learned.
Vancouver is quite the multicultural place, so styles vary from person to person. You have everything from your possibly pot-smoking hippie activist preaching the Gospel of Greenpeace on the street corner, to the woman with way too much makeup with an $800 pair of shoes, $300 purse, $500 jeans and $1000 blouse – not to mention the $450 sunglasses – to Muslim women whom are covered from head to toe. No melting pot here!
But the most popular accessory in Vancouver (minus the ever-present umbrella) is the dog or puppy. Everytime I see one I think of my little Sadie at home and I get homesick. Every second person in this city has a dog. There are your big Black Labs to your little Taco Bell puppies. And they’re all SO cute. Wait, I’m getting homesick again…
Granville Street, which I live one block east of, and except for Robson Street in the Downtown core, is one of the trendiest streets in the city. There are many little clothing boutiques, dress shops and designer shoe stores. I’ve slipped in Donna Karan NY just for fun. I found a pair of shoes on sale – for $300. Hmmm – plane ticket home for Christmas or a pair of shoes I can never wear in the rain, which nixes 364 of the 365 days of the year around here? And then there’s Aisha Mode (sigh…). Nothing in that store for under $800. And then there’s Bedo and Plum, my favorite stores. They’re much cheaper, but still good quality. There’s this jacket at Plum that I look at everyday as I pass by the store on my way to school. But it’s $220 – but I still have a whole lot of birthday money left…and it’d be a good investment. I tried it on one day a couple of weeks ago just to satisfy my curiosity; Heather and her Mom were along. They told me that the coat was perfect for me – the plums and pinks in it made my eyes pop. I was about to buy it then and there. But better judgement took hold of me – at least, for the moment. That coat still haunts me to this day, as it’s still hanging in the window at Plum. Tara and Kirstin, I wish you were here to see this coat! What should I do? But even with the coat I won’t be a fashion maiden. There’s no way. My 80 minute commute to school and back makes comfort the ultimate factor, though I still make the wrong decision somedays, like today. Man, my feet hurt.